Sunday, November 13, 2016

Nothing Good Comes Without a Little Sacrifice

Part of being a grown up is understanding that sacrifice is a part of life. You don't question it or fight it you just figure out what can and can not be sacrificed and make it happen.  As a home school mom I have the freedom and responsibility to create our schedule. Knowing when to sacrifice certain activities for the good of education or vice versa is hard to balance.


Sometimes it just feels easier to just stay home in our own bubble and not go anywhere just so we can get our school work and to-do list done. But then the kids get stir crazy and I miss interacting with other people. So I'll go through a season of less formal schooling and focus on field trips and socializing. Its like a see saw.

I have had to learn to find the balance between wanting to be laid back while expecting things to get done.  I wish I was more type A and organized but I'm just not lol!  So i have to work hard to make sure socializing doesnt take over lol. It is hard to say no, its so easy to get distracted.

On my third year of home schooling I've finally found the curriculum that really works for us.  We have been using Heart of Dakota and I love it! It help keeps me organized while also giving me freedom to do things my own way. For example I love the suggested science book. Its amazimg but the curriculum was skipping through it so I decided to do it my way and start at the beginning. If I like the scince suggestion for the day I can still use it. But for science class this year we are going through the text in chronological order.

While it let's me be laid back it also keeps me accountable, let's me know exactly where we are and what we have and have not done.  It reigns me in before I get too far out there!

One way I try to keep the balance is by generally taking one day a week for a field trip or a park day.  Which then gives me 4 days to do school and get housework done.  I like to keep Saturdays open to either go do something or relax in a clean home lol.  And Sundays are for worship and family time.

Home schooling has definitely been challenging for me because the schedule rarely stays the same.  I have really had to learn to go with the flow while remaining focused. Some days the baby naps well others he hadly naps at all.  One Thursday I'll run out of diapers or need wipes and have no choice but go to the store.  Another week my husband will take a Tuesday off ... And when he is home it distracts me the most lol. You just never know... So some weeks we won't have a park day ... Some times we just can't and I have to reluctantly decline an invite to the zoo.  (Twice I've had to do that this year!)


At the end of the day it is my job to educate them and make sure they are where they are supposed to be. Every time we complete a school day I feel accomplished knowing I did what I was supposed to. Their success is my success and there is nothing I enjoy more than watching my children learn,  explore and have fun. And this is what motivates me. It doesn't come without sacrifice from both my husband and I. But God is faithful and whatever it is we may be sacrificing He is giving us more than our share and beyond what we need!

Hope you have a blessed day!

I'd love to hear from you!  Be sure to follow, like and share my blog!  Thanks ! Xoxoxo

Heather



No comments:

Post a Comment